Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What does GI JOE, Iron Girl, & Elk all have in common? ME!

Last week I squeaked out a whopping 5.28 miles. TOTAL. That's it folks. 5.28 miles of running and I'm suppppposed to be training for a 1/2 marathon. UGH.... I'm doing that thing I do, I make excuses! There is a reason why my body looks the way it does.... EXCUSES. 

BUT on Sunday I did my most favorite race so far. We did the Iron Girl 5k in Seattle. I freaking loved every dang second. 

To start with my group of friends that did this with me are A.W.E.S.O.M.E! It was Jessie, Shelley, and Stephanie.They are sisters and I basically grew up with them. Then we brought our daughters. Rylee (my 14 year-old), Lainey (Jess's girl), Cassidy & Carley (Shel's girls). I love Iron Girl because it's a women's only, no pressure, fun race. Every finisher receives a metal and you get the experience of a large race.

When we arrived we had plenty of time to spare, which was good because I freaking need STARBUCKS. Yes, I haven't learned from my Relay Race experience. Don't judge. Sometimes I need to have stuff pounded into my head..... I mean I still think Jager Bombs don't cause hangovers, okay?

Any hoooo... we found great parking spot and headed off to pick up our packets. We put on our bibs and waited for in line for the porta-potty which seemed longer than Goldie Hawn and Kirk Russell's dating courtship! No kidding... this line was a billion times longer than any other race I've been to and that was crummy because Carley is 4 and my bladder is 100 so there is a good chance of one of us wetting and I'm betting it me.

Cassidy, Lainey, Carley, & Rylee

Steph, Shelley, Jess, & Me.. Pre-race


Pretty soon we all headed to the start line. It was great talking with my friends.... encouraging the girls... and just knowing it was about the experience and not a timed thing. NO PRESSURE... which as you know, I'm lazy so I'm all about that. RIGHT?

When the race started we began walking..... Cassidy and I decided we'd jog a little bit. This kid is competitive.. I LOVE IT... The best part is she had forgot her tennis shoes and had to wear her grandma's. So here is this 9 year-old running in shoes that are a 1/2 size too large and she doesn't CARE. I freaking love kids. I would have been pissing and moaning NON STOP. For reals. We did a few jogging intervals and then walked with her momma, Shelley.

Rylee, Jessie, Lainey, Steph & Carley were ahead of us. I was kind of bummed I didn't get to see my daughter cross the finish line, but I know she rocked it. When we got close to the finish I told Cassidy "Let's run in the last .10 of a mile and sprint across the finish line"... she was game! Me, Shelley, and Cassidy took off.... as we rounded the corner I yelled "RUN CASS, RUN.. FAST AS YOU CAN" and her little 9 year old legs went into high gear... As she ran across the finish line, the announcer yells out "Cassidy Gay, 9 years old just finished Iron Girl 2012"... I won't lie to you... Shelley and I were choked up.... It's awesome. It's so incredible seeing someone finish a race... and when it's a kid... it'll really get ya.

We found the rest of our group and I hugged up Rylee.... That kid makes me proud. I know she was pumped because she beat me in. I was pumped because I wanted to show her how awesome a big race is.... and we all wore our metals with PRIDE..... Who am I kidding, I'm still wearing that thing. I kid, I kid.... kinda. I mean I might wear it while dusting or cleaning.... but maybe not to work. HA.





SO that's race #6 completed... Oktoberfest 1/2 marathon is 7 of 7 and I will have met my goal. Last year I would never ever have believed I could do it..... In you face, old Mandy...... IN YOUR FACE.

Monday I had errands to run so I didn't make it to boot camp..... :(  I suck. I know.

Yesterday I ran with Joy and Pam on lunch for a 4 miler and burned 496 calories.... but yesterday afternoon I felt like POOP. Seriously... I was dragging a$$ and it was pathetic. I came home hit the couch and slept away the evening....

TODAY'S goal?? Get my round self to boot camp and journaling my eating.... I think I can, I think I can.....

OH OH OH... big big news... My friend has an Insanity DVD set I can borrow... I am doing it. I'm taking the challenge. Since I NEVER seem to get below 150 pounds without having my jaw wired shut, I've decided to see if I can get some more inches off.....Numbers aren't as important when I'm rocking a smaller size in jeans. RIGHT?

Welp... good luck to my incredibly sexy husband who is out hunting RIGHT NOW. This morning when I woke up he was all "Camo'd out" and of course my sarcastic self HAD to ask if he was hunting or playing GI-JOE... he responded with "Nope, important business meeting".... I love that man. He "gets" my humor and plays along.... So, here's to you babe...BRING HOME SOME ELK... no pressure but come on already......... ;)

Here's to a kickin' ass Wednesday....

Love ya,
M











No comments:

Post a Comment